Our congregation began in 1832 at the home of the Rev. Ralph Lee. A church was built in 1838 on property. The building and cemetery can be found today on the grounds of Bakerstown Presbyterian Church. As our community grew in the 1950’s, plans were made to build a larger building at our current location. In December of 1959, the first service was conducted.
Our community and congregation continued to grow, which led to the need for more space. An education wing was added in 1973 to facilitate ministry to children, youth and families. The Chapel in the Woods was added in the 1970’s in memory of Betsy Jo Mahoney. This provides an outside setting for corporate worship or quiet personal reflection. More additions to our building occurred in the 1990’s and culminated with the completion of a new sanctuary in 2001.
The current building includes our sanctuary and balcony with seating space for up to 425 people. The large multi-purpose Fellowship Hall and fully equipped kitchen is the perfect setting for a family party, a wedding reception and church events. Our classrooms, Fellowship Hall and sanctuary are fully accessible.
The Bakerstown United Methodist Church has a long-standing tradition and presence in the community. We are grateful for our heritage that has always embraced the future with vision. Today, we continue to look to the future with new ideas and ministries as we seek to serve Jesus in an ever changing world.